Graduate employment at AGS
2016 national graduate program
The AGS national graduate program is a 12-month training and development program culminating in a placement as a practising lawyer within AGS (subject to probation). The program is designed to ensure our graduates are exposed to a number of areas of law to enable them to develop a broad knowledge and understanding of AGS, our clients and our business.
The majority of graduates will be based in Canberra with a few based in State offices.
Our graduate program runs over 12 months with the following features:
- an induction in Canberra in the first week of the program
- graduates based in Canberra undertake rotations in each of our 3 national legal practices (AGS Dispute Resolution, AGS Commercial and the Office of General Counsel) for approximately 3 months
- graduates based in State offices undertake a rotation in AGS Dispute Resolution and AGS Commercial as determined by the business needs of the office at the time
- graduates are allocated a supervisor and buddy at the commencement of each rotation and may also choose to have a mentor and have access to the dedicated lawyer development adviser
- a client placement of approximately 3 months
- the opportunity to undertake a part-time pro bono placement.
From 1 July 2015 AGS will be consolidated within the Attorney-General's Department (AGD).
AGD offers a separate graduate program and encourages applicants from all disciplines. It gives graduates the opportunity to contribute to the development of policies and the delivery of programs to maintain and improve Australia's law and justice framework, strengthen our national security and emergency management, and provide support for arts and culture.
Applications for the 2016 AGS national graduate program are now open and close 17 April 2015.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates. Please contact Karen Tatz if you would like further information.
As we receive hundreds of applications, we generally look at grade point averages higher than 70.
Lawyer Development Adviser
T 02 6253 7061