4 May 2016 – Hyatt Hotel, Canberra
This forum will provide an overview of the current state of play under Commonwealth FOI and privacy laws, focusing on recent and emerging themes relating to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and the Privacy Act 1988, as well as to provide contextual discussion on the interplay between FOI and privacy laws, other Commonwealth laws and meeting legal and policy objectives.
We will look at a broad range of issues, including:
- de-identifying government data and using shared services
- whether agencies have a duty to protect the commercial interests of third parties
- FOI charges and the issues of discretion and waiver
- the potential development of the common law of privacy and confidential information in the absence of a statutory cause of action the personal privacy exemption
- privacy laws and human rights obligations
- culture and rhetoric in the FOI wars.
Our skilled speakers will guide you through these issues, drawing on practical examples and analysing the day-to-day impact of the matters under discussion.
For further information on the forum, please see our flyer.