Our employment lawyers have extensive experience in public sector bargaining, machinery-of-government changes and work health and safety. AGS has provided specialist advice to agencies on Commonwealth industrial and employment legislation for many years. We played a significant role in advising the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations on the making of the Fair Work Act 2009.
AGS can advise on all aspects of public sector employment and workplace relations matters, including the interpretation of the fundamental legislation in this area – the Fair Work Act 2009 and the Public Service Act 1999, as well as enterprise bargaining processes, including the requirements of the Australian Government Employment Bargaining Framework.
We can help clients draft and interpret enterprise agreements, individual employment arrangements (contracts, individual flexibility arrangements and determinations) and consultancy agreements, as well as advise on appointments and engagements of personnel, and on workplace discrimination.
We advise on reviews of employment actions and misconduct matters, including writing procedures and policies, scrutinising reports, assessing evidence, advising on procedural fairness requirements, advising on suspensions and sanctions, and responding to submissions.
We also advise on procedures relating to termination of employment, including redundancy, and on the operation of legislation relevant to workers' compensation, superannuation, long service leave, maternity leave and work health and safety.
|Paul Vermeesch||Deputy Chief Solicitor Dispute Resolution||02 6253 7428|
|Craig Rawson||Senior Executive Lawyer||03 9242 1248|
|Fiona Dempsey||Senior Executive Lawyer||07 3360 5737|
|Bridget Gilmour-Walsh||Senior General Counsel||02 6253 7563|
|Elen Perdikogiannis||Senior General Counsel||02 6253 7462|
|Catherine Mann||Senior Executive Lawyer||02 6253 7402|
|Andrew Chapman||Senior General Counsel||02 6253 7206|
|Paul Barker||Senior Executive Lawyer||03 9242 1257|
|Olivia Abbott||Senior General Counsel||02 6253 7023|
|Sarah Wright||Senior Executive Lawyer||02 6253 7630|
|Brendan Watts||Counsel||02 6253 7463|
- Express law 275 Federal Court holds dismissal of an ill employee breached the Fair Work Act 2009 (7 December 2018)
- Legal briefing 111 Dealing effectively with unsatisfactory performance in the Australian Public Service (29 November 2018)
- Express law 272 John Nemcic v Australian Electoral Commission  FWC 5645 (19 October 2018)
- Legal briefing 110 Misconduct in the Australian Public Service (30 June 2018)
- Express law 264 High Court finds Federal Court has power to make a personal payment order against a contravening union official under the Fair Work Act 2009 (14 February 2018)
- Fact sheet 19 Work Health & Safety – HR Managers (October 2012)
- Fact sheet 17 Work Health & Safety – Officer's duty (November 2011)
- New Work Health and Safety Act implications
- Behind the scenes of the Qantas dispute