National Manager Commercial
Katy is an expert commercial lawyer, with more than 17 years’ experience in both private and government practice. A key area of her expertise is drafting, advising on and negotiating contracts, including grants, intergovernmental agreements and other funding arrangements, across a wide range of subject matters. She has a very strong client-service ethos, honed from many years as an AGS Client Service Manager, and particularly enjoys advising on innovative and complex environmental, social welfare and Indigenous projects.
She advised on the $443 million grant to protect the Great Barrier Reef and the Commonwealth’s provision of $1.1 billion of funding for the Continuity of Support program to assist older Australians with disabilities. Katy is also a long-term trusted legal adviser to a number of clients, including the National Disability Insurance Agency on its very important national Partners in the Community program and the Torres Strait Regional Authority in relation to its Major Infrastructure and Other Projects Trust Fund.
She co-authored AGS Legal Briefing 112: Commonwealth grants: an overview of legal issues (2019) and is experienced in providing clients with training, particularly on the many and varied legal and probity issues relating to grants and other funding arrangements. Katy has undertaken a number of successful client secondments and has broad experience in managing large legal teams, including AGS’s Commercial practice, and is a founding and current member of the ACT Pro Bono Clearing House.
Katy’s recent work also includes:
- advising a number of Commonwealth entities on their contract management options to recognise, address and mitigate the impacts of COVID-19
- advising the Commonwealth on the funding and contractual arrangements for its $20 billion Medical Research Future Fund
- assisting the Commonwealth to structure and prepare several large grant and other agreements to provide funding to the iconic Royal Flying Doctors Service
- assisting the Commonwealth prepare and negotiate a large number of amended Regional Forest Agreements with several State Governments.
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University, 2002
- Advanced Certificate in Public Administration (Taxation), 1998
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University, 1997
AGS Australia Day Award as part of a group in recognition of their outstanding support provided to government during the G20 meeting in Brisbane, 2015
AGS Australia Day Award for her outstanding work as a Client Service Manager, 2013.