Deputy General Counsel
Over the last 25 years Simon has assisted many Commonwealth departments and agencies manage a wide range of complex commercial issues related to the policy implementation; the establishment, sale and winding up of new Commonwealth corporate and statutory agencies; complex procurements and disposals; and a wide variety of construction and leasing matters.
Simon provides a range of legal services to a large number of Sydney-based corporate entities, including the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority, the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, the Australian Commission for Safety and Quality in Health Care, the Australian National Maritime Museum, the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust and the Reserve Bank of Australia.
He also worked in private practice both locally and overseas. Notably he spent 5 years in Papua New Guinea where he provided commercial advice and assistance to a range of companies, including Sullivan Holdings, Collins and Leahy and Nissho Iwai.
- Establishing the legal arrangements for the Sydney Aircraft Noise Insulation Program.
- Establishment of the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust and Screen Australia. Simon was the initial legal counsel to both these agencies when they were created.
- Sale of the Housing Loans Insurance Corporation and the winding up of the Albury Wodonga Development Corporation. The acquisition of the ANSTO Replacement Research Reactor.
- Pre-commitment leasing of numerous properties for the Australian Taxation Office and the sale and lease back of numerous properties for CSIRO and the Department of Defence.
- The construction of the new Australian Embassies in Jakarta, Bangkok and Washington.
Master of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney, 1996
Bachelor of Laws, University of Sydney, 1981
Bachelor of Arts, University of Sydney, 1979