Senior Executive Lawyer
A skilled corporate and commercial lawyer, Simon joined AGS in 2019 with broad experience leading complex transactional and advisory engagements across a range of industries, with a focus on financial services, health and government sectors.
He has significant experience in the development and negotiation of complex commercial arrangements and brings clear thinking and a well-rounded perspective, having practiced in leading law firms in Australia and the United Kingdom and has advanced finance training. Simon has significant experience advising Commonwealth clients on governance and compliance matters.
Simon has experience providing solutions to clients within a multi-disciplinary professional services environment. His thoughtful approach and ability to engage with diverse stakeholders has seen him engaged in a number of independent reviews, including the review of the Privacy Credit Reporting Code and most recently the review of the provision of legal services to the Department of Defence.
Examples of the areas in which Simon practices, at AGS and previous firms include:
- Governance – advising a range of public and private sector bodies on board governance matters, including advising the Department of Finance in the design and delivery of training for GBE directors.
- Investment – advising Commonwealth agencies on grant and investment programs, including advising the Treasury on the design of the $20bn Small and Medium Sized Business loan guarantee scheme and the Department of Agriculture on the design of drought resilience programs.
- Defence – advising the Department of Defence on non-material acquisition and governance matters and appointment by the Inspector General of the Australian Defence Force on several inquiries into possible breaches of military justice.
- Infrastructure – advising Commonwealth agencies on complex contractual arrangements including the Department of Infrastructure on its $2bn loan in relation to the Westconnex project, the SBS on the acquisition of terrestrial and satellite broadcasting spectrum and NBN Co Ltd in relation to the $12bn Definitive Agreements with Telstra.
- Financial Services – advising insurance industry participants on corporate and capital structuring, policy wording and reinsurance as well as innovative risk transfer techniques such as longevity hedging.
- Health innovation – advising a number of Commonwealth bodies within the health portfolio on hospital funding and data sharing, the Department of Veterans Affairs on veteran health and welfare reform and several universities on design and governance of collaborative research arrangements in the health sector.
- Contestability – advising on contestability arrangements in the health and welfare sector, including in respect of the NSW disability services devolution process and market testing for the replacement of the Medicare Payment System.
Admitted to practice in England and Wales, 2008
Completion of Levels I - III of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program, 2006
Admitted to practice in New South Wales, 2004
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, Griffith, 2004
Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales, 2003
Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales, 2003