The Foundational Australian Government Lawyer Training (GLT) Program is designed to establish consistent, professional, foundational training for in-house graduate government lawyers and lawyers new to government. The GLT program covers broad cross-entity government issues that are relevant to all government departments and agencies. This program arose from discussions by General Counsels about opportunities for practical collaboration to support professional development of in-house lawyers in the Commonwealth. The program is an initiative of the Australian Government Legal Service (AGLS).
The focus of the 3-day training will be on:
- the role of a government lawyer
- the whole-of-government framework within which government lawyers operate
- understanding legal issues and engaging in legal risk specific to Commonwealth government lawyers
- legal ethics and professional responsibility for government lawyers
- assistance with practice management skills and professional skills
- the opportunity for government lawyers to begin to build cross agency networks and a sense of identity/community as government lawyers
- identification of areas for development and providers for further training opportunities.
The presenters come from a broad range of agencies, allowing for participants to engage in topics with cross-Commonwealth examples from both in-house lawyers and AGS.
After the completion of the training, participants will have:
- an increased awareness of the whole-of-government legal framework within which they operate
- an increased capacity to understand legal issues and engage in legal risk specific to government
- access to knowledge and resources to assist them in their role and know where to find relevant information
- an understanding that they will form part of a broader Commonwealth legal network – the Australian Government Legal Service.
Lawyers may claim Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for their attendance at this course.
Further details including a course program and resources will be provided to registered participants.
For further information, please contact email@example.com or contact the AGLS team at the Attorney-General's Department on (02) 6141 3761.
The GLT Program is expected to be offered at least twice a year. Exact dates for 2021 are to be confirmed. Please note that due to the coronavirus situation, the April 2020 GLT Program had to be postponed. Accordingly, the first GLT Program for 2021 is fully subscribed.
The course runs for 3 consecutive full days. Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided on each day.
$320 (inclusive of GST) per person. This training program is a cost-recovered joint program between in-house counsel and AGS. Accordingly, we are unable to provide refunds if you can no longer attend the training. If you can no longer attend, we encourage you to nominate an alternative participant to attend in your place.