Who should attend
The Foundational Government Lawyer Training Program (Training Program) is an intensive and practical training program focused on government lawyers who are new to Commonwealth in-house practice. Interstate attendees are welcome. The venue is a hotel in a central location in Canberra, with ample free parking and convenient access to the airport as well as public transport options.
The focus of the 3-day training will be on:
- the role of a government lawyer
- the whole-of-government framework within which government lawyers operate
- understanding legal issues and engaging in legal risk specific to Commonwealth government lawyers
- legal ethics and professional responsibility for government lawyers
- assistance with practice management skills and professional skills
- the opportunity for government lawyers to begin to build cross agency networks and a sense of identity/community as government lawyers
- identification of areas for development and providers for further training opportunities.
After the completion of the Training Program, participants will have:
- an increased awareness of the whole-of-government legal framework within which they operate
- an increased capacity to understand legal issues and engage in legal risk specific to government
- access to knowledge and resources to assist them in their role and know where to find relevant information
- an understanding that they will form part of a broader Commonwealth legal network – the Australian Government Legal Service.
The presenters come from a broad range of agencies, allowing for participants to engage in topics with cross-Commonwealth examples from both in-house lawyers and AGS.
The course runs for 3 consecutive full days. Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided on each day.
$320 (inclusive of GST) per person. This training program is a cost-recovered joint program between in-house counsel and AGS. Accordingly, we are unable to provide refunds if you can no longer attend the training. If you can no longer attend, we encourage you to nominate an alternative participant to attend in your place.