Lawyers with up to 5 years post-admission experience
AGS recognises the development needs of lawyers in the early stages of their professional career. Our Lawyer Development Program (LDP) assists lawyers to apply the knowledge and skills they have developed through legal studies and to develop the skills and expertise required of senior lawyers.
The program comprises 3 stages as lawyers build confidence in practice management, develop client relationships, deepen their knowledge of legislation, government policy and legal issues, and strengthen their capability to provide written and oral advice on increasingly complex legal matters.
These stages can be achieved in 2–5 years. We promote on performance and readiness to take on more responsibility, not on years of experience. We offer lawyers a number of career options (including in-house counsel roles with clients).
The Lawyer Development Program includes:
- interesting and challenging legal matters in the national interest
- supervision and coaching by some of Australia's most respected lawyers
- a structured development plan
- legal skills (black-letter law and the government context)
- practice skills (plain language drafting, negotiation and advocacy skills)
- people skills (communication, supervision, professional presentation skills)
- business skills (client relationship development, financial management)
- Continuing Legal Education sessions on-site, including core legal skills with some of Australia's foremost legal minds on government law
- attendance at the national practice orientation conference and national practice forums with clients
- studies assistance and the opportunity to apply for academic and business scholarships
- support from an LDP buddy and a senior mentor
- 2 remuneration reviews per year.
Well-educated and trained employees are crucial to our business success. We have various ways to support employees who are studying. Assistance may be provided to employees undertaking study where that study supports the business interests of AGS. Such assistance may be in the form of time to attend relevant study activities or financial support to cover the costs of some or all of the course fees.
Our employees are able to move between our various offices and corporate function groups to gain a variety of experience on different matters and projects through secondment development opportunities.
AGS provides many client secondment opportunities including in-house counsel roles located within clients' offices, on short or long-term arrangements.