National Leader, Commercial
Nick’s broad ranging corporate and commercial experience includes leading negotiations in mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, capital markets, infrastructure and regulatory reform projects as well as governance, compliance and risk management. His understanding of the commercial, political, regulatory and public policy context enables Nick to deliver solutions that meet client needs, and anticipate and address risks.
As a partner at Ashurst for 17 years (including as head of its national Corporate practice), Nick has acted for companies such as BHP, ANZ and Shell in the private sector and in the public sphere has acted for:
- Finance in respect of ASIC’s registry business
- Defence on the sale of ASC Shipbuilding
- DFAT on the establishment of the Coral Sea Cable Company
- ANSTO on governance arrangements for Australian Nuclear Medicine
- Finance on the scoping study for Defence Housing Australia
- Sydney Motorway Corporation in relation to the WestConnex project and sale
- Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance on the sale of its stake in Snowy Hydro Company Ltd.
Nick has advised on some of Australia's most significant and ground breaking transactions, assisting major domestic and international clients to achieve successful outcomes and to structure and execute deals to generate value. These transactions have included high profile and award winning public company and cross border deals.
Sought out for his judgment and creative thinking, Nick combines his ability to distil and navigate complex issues with his collaborative style to achieve successful outcomes.
Corporate and Commercial | Property and Environment | Investment | Governance | Privatisation and corporatisation
Company Directors Course, AICD, 2020
Executive Education, Leadership in Law Firms, Harvard Law School/Harvard Business School, 2011
Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Monash University, 1993
Bachelor of Economics, Monash University, 1991