AGS recognises the development needs of lawyers in the early stages of their professional career. AGS assists early career lawyers to apply the knowledge and skills they have gained through their legal studies to develop the skills and expertise required of senior lawyers in our Practice.
AGS offers significant training opportunities for newly qualified lawyers to gain a strong understanding of many aspects of lawyering in a Commonwealth context. We run an orientation program for all new lawyers which includes training about aspects of practice management, building client relationships, plain language and advice writing. We also offer a suite of training courses that are run over a 2 year period called our 'Core Legal Skills' program. These courses touch on all areas of law of significance to the Commonwealth.
We promote on performance and readiness to take on more responsibility, not on years of experience. We offer lawyers a number of career options (including in-house counsel roles with clients).
For our newly qualified lawyers AGS offers:
- interesting and challenging legal matters in the national interest
- supervision and coaching by some of Australia's most respected lawyers
- a structured development plan
- legal skills training (black-letter law and the government context)
- practice skills training (negotiation skills, advocacy skills, time recording and billing skills)
- people skills training (communication, supervision, professional presentation skills)
- business skills training (client relationship development, financial management)
- studies assistance and the opportunity to apply for academic and business scholarships
- support from an LDP buddy and a senior mentor
- 2 remuneration reviews per year.
Well-educated and trained employees are crucial to our business success. We have various ways to support employees who are studying. Assistance may be provided to employees undertaking study where that study supports the business interests of AGS. Such assistance may be in the form of time to attend relevant study activities or financial support to cover the costs of some or all of the course fees.
Subject to business requirements, our employees are able to move between our various offices and corporate function groups to gain a variety of experience on different matters and projects.
AGS provides many client outpost opportunities including in-house counsel roles located within clients' offices, on short or long-term arrangements.