Commonwealth agencies engage with risk every day. We guide clients in the assessment of risk in projects, procurements and policy development and we advise on insurance and other risk mitigation approaches.
Many of our lawyers have substantial private practice experience, acting for and against large insurers in complex matters and advising private business entities on insurance needs.
We are uniquely aware of Commonwealth positions on legal risk, capping of liability and indemnity requirements in commercial transactions. We also advise strategically on the commercial feasibility of these positions.
We bring an unrivalled knowledge of the legislative and policy frameworks that interact with all our clients' insurance needs. Our advice is always informed by the context of government and clients benefit from insights we gain working across a range of agencies.
We have been privileged to advise on the creation and operation of Commonwealth insurance and self-insurance schemes and policy interventions to support agencies, and all Australians, in managing risk.
Examples of our work include:
- advising the Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation on the development and administration of the Terrorism Insurance Scheme and Cyclone Insurance Scheme
- advising on business interruption insurance coverage issues during the COVID pandemic
- working with intermediaries to establish insurance requirements for high-risk/high-profile contracts
- undertaking risk assessments for agencies involved in contracts and funding programs, taking account of insurance considerations
- advising on hundreds of claims where it is necessary to consider and, in some cases, claim against private insurers to companies that have contracted with the Commonwealth
- advising extensively on matters involving the Comcover Policy Manual.